Wednesday 28 September 2011

Arctic Redpoll, North Mainland

A rather twitchy day today, initially on Whalsay in the morning with cracking views of the Little Bunting at Vaivoe (though we also found a brief Rosefinch there, too). Prompted by news from the mainland, we headed up to the Urafirth area again, first for a stunning adult drake Surf Scoter in Ronas Voe and then the reported Coue’s Arctic Redpoll.

At the time, I wasn’t absolutely convinced about the ID as a pure Arctic, and I suspect we may see something on Martin Garner’s blog on this in due course. However, having looked back through the photos, I’m tending to be more positive again… but rather than comment in detail myself without having done my reading properly, I’ll simply post a selection of shots showing various features.

Please leave a comment or drop me a line if you have any constructive suggestions regarding identification!

arctic_redpoll3img_0477_arctic redpoll, shetland copyimg_0500_arctic redpoll, shetland copyarctic_redpoll4arctic_redpoll5

No comments: