Saturday 11 April 2009

White-throated Sparrow

... on my list! Sorry, no pictures, but I'm sure Surfbirds will do the job.

After the early news was negative, I diverted to Pulborough Brooks on the way down to Hants, where the Alpine Swift was showing brilliantly, low overhead, with a group of hirundines driven down by poor weather. As I expected, the swift disappeared as soon as the weather perked up, but by then the Sparrow was showing and I was on my way.

For anyone thinking of going to see the White-throated Sparrow, give yourself plenty of time, and be prepared to put in some effort to find it - it was calling reasonably frequently this afternoon, but generally keeping low to the floor and moving slowly inside dense blackthorn and bramble cover. Not ideal for getting a whole lot of people to see it simultaneously! Might be quite tricky to relocate each morning. Beautiful view and interesting ancient history when you get bored, though...

Anyway, that's my first new British bird of 2009 - not like that low-listing Hawkins bloke!

No comments: