Tuesday 5 February 2013

Arctic Norway & Finland Trip Report (March / April 2012)

… and about time too, I might add!

Several people have been asking me recently about the trip I did with Jono and my Dad up to the far north of Finland and Norway last year – I guess Tormod’s speaking tour around the country with Martin Garner may well have much to do with this! The trip feels like ages ago now, but the memories are still fresh and fantastic. We saw some stunning birds, beautiful landscapes… and actually didn’t have to spend that much money (in what can be a terrifyingly expensive part of the world) to do it. Nor did we come across many other birders, or need a guide to find most of our target species – if you’re prepared for the weather with good gear, it’s not a difficult proposition to do an awesome self-drive trip.

So, here’s the long-awaited trip report, which includes details of the logistics as well as the birds. Click on the grosbeak to open… very topical right now, given events on Shetland!

grosbeak_fem_2

Also, for a recap on other photos from the trip, browse my previous posts >here<.

If anyone wants more information about any of this, don’t hesitate to leave a comment with your contact email address here, and I’ll get back to you.

No comments: